These drumsticks are a family favorite and the vibrant flavors fit right in this time of year. I include directions for a Dutch oven and slow cooker both because these options are nice.
As it is, I use my slow cooker more during the summer than any other season. Slow cookers don’t heat up our small home nearly as much as the oven… and when our central air was not working (with triple digit temps – ugh) there was no way in hell I was turning on the oven.
No way, no how.
- 1 TB fat of choice (recommending: rendered bacon fat, duck fat, or avocado oil)
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 8 ounces fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 orange, zested and then peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup bone broth
- green onion slices or chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat fat in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, sear the drumsticks. Three minutes on each side, removing to plate as you work on the rest.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt, pineapple chunks, orange zest and chunks, broth. Return drumsticks to Dutch oven with any juices on the plate.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, garnish, and serve with sides of your choice.
- Turn slow cooker on low heat. Add garlic, ginger, salt, pineapple chunks, orange zest and chunks, broth to the slow cooker crock.
- Heat fat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear the drumsticks. Three minutes on each side, removing to the slow cooker crock as you work on the rest.
- Once all drumsticks are in the slow cooker, toss some of the pineapple and oranges on top, cover and cook on low for six hours.
- Remove from slow cooker, garnish, and serve with sides of your choice.