Would you believe me if I said there was a time I didn’t like grilling? Yep. I “let” The Mister handle all the grilling. I prepped the food and he grilled it. Now?
Pfft. Move over. I got this. 😉
I’ve made this dish for the family with both beef heart and chicken hearts, each with great results and approval from both kids and The Mister. Luv especially likes the chicken hearts because they’re smaller, individual hearts. She thinks they’re cute. 😉
If you use beef heart, just make sure the heart is clean and well-trimmed before slicing it into smaller “bites”. Since I source heart from US Wellness Meats, there’s little to no trimming I have to do; but for those that need to trim their heart, there are simple instructions on YouTube.
- 1 cleaned and trimmed beef heart, cut into ½ inch chunks *OR* 1 lb chicken hearts
- 1 quart filtered water
- 1 TB sea salt
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ½ cup chopped herbs (any combination of parsley, cilantro, basil, tarragon, etc.)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2-4 TB EVOO
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together water, salt, and honey until dissolved. Submerge heart. Cover and refrigerate anywhere from three hours to overnight.
- In a food processor, pulse herbs, garlic, 2 TB olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, and salt until blended. Stream in more olive oil if needed. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat grill to a medium-high flame.
- In the meantime, pierce the heart pieces onto 4-6 stainless skewers (beef heart will yield more meat than chicken hearts), careful of your fingers.
- Brush the grill grate with a bit of avocado oil and carefully place skewers on direct heat.
- Let cook 3-5 minutes before flipping with tongs (mindful that the skewers are HOT) and let the heart finish cooking to your liking.
- Serve immediately with prepared herb vinaigrette.